Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 15, 2024

QT 2/15/2024 Ps 3:1-6, Faith and rest

Psalm 3:1–6 (ESV) —

1 O Lord, how many are my foes!

Many are rising against me;

2 many are saying of my soul,

“There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah

3 But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,

my glory, and the lifter of my head.

4 I cried aloud to the Lord,

and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

5 I lay down and slept;

I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.

6 I will not be afraid of many thousands of people

who have set themselves against me all around.

 

NOTE: David has been cast out of Jerusalem by his son Absalom's revolt. He is running for his life and the lives of those around him. Most observers think that "there is no salvation for him in God," so effective has Absalom's deceit and wooing of the people. But David's answer is prayer. Spurgeon writes "… for God to hear is, according to Scripture, the same thing as to answer." And as a consequence David "lay down and slept." In the midst of all the pain and struggle, in the midst of all the stress and fear, David slept well. Why? Because he had faith in God. He prayed and God had already answered. But here is the key that most people miss. Faith and praying does not mean that we will get what we want. Faith is believing that God cares and will do the absolute best thing for my life and his purpose. David could lose the upcoming battle, but he could also rest in complete confidence that is God's best for him. Faith is not getting what you want, but believing that God cares for you. He knows you and he has not forgotten you. God did provide victory for David, but not because he prayed for it, because God knew what was best for David.

 

PONDER:

  1. Is my faith such that I can rest completely assured that God knows what is best?
  2. Or do I see prayer as some kind of Santa Claus list that I force upon God to do my will?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray to rest in your care and not my worries. I give to your my concerns, fears, and desires. I believe that you love me and will do what is best for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment