Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

QT 2/20/2024 Ps 15:1-5, Having a sane estimate of self so that we don't abuse others

Psalm 15:1–5 (ESV) —

1 O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?

Who shall dwell on your holy hill?

2 He who walks blamelessly and does what is right

and speaks truth in his heart;

3 who does not slander with his tongue

and does no evil to his neighbor,

nor takes up a reproach against his friend;

4 in whose eyes a vile person is despised,

but who honors those who fear the Lord;

who swears to his own hurt and does not change;

5 who does not put out his money at interest

and does not take a bribe against the innocent.

He who does these things shall never be moved.

 

NOTE: The verse speaks to a person who does what is right, does not slander, does not take up reproach, honors those who fear God, swears to his own hurt, does not change his word, does not make money off his brothers, and does not take bribes. To a certain degree, this is a warning to the rich. The poor can't lend money and often times, society ignores their testimony. Slander is less effective coming from the poor because the world does not seem them as important. And honor bestowed from the poor is not seen in the same light as honor coming from the rich. Jesus spoke against this class-focused approach to life, but it still remains the default position of most people. We look up to the rich and look down on the poor, which in turn causes the rich to be prideful and to use the power of riches in an evil manner. So, going back to the question, "who shall dwell on God's holy hill?" certainly the rich are in danger of missing out on that reward.

 

How do we avoid the dangers of the rich attitude? I think giving away our money is a good antidote. Also, in at least in my interactions with others, I must always have the attitude, that each and every person is smarter and more important than me. Others might disagree on that statement, but for me, it is very important. I am prideful and I think of myself too highly. I am not a reservoir of knowledge. I don't know all things. I am not really rich, it can all be gone in an instant. People, each and every one, are important, more important than me. Some may take offense at that attitude, but for me it is necessary.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I misuse my position or power?
  2. Do I believe I am more important than those around me?

 

PRAYER: Father, all that I am and all that I have is your gift. I am nothing in this life, but what you have brought about. I have no reason to boast except in my savior, Jesus. I want to be meek and loving toward others, expressing the fruit of the Spirit in all my interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment