Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

QT 2/6/2024 Mark 15:21-32, We are all sinners

Mark 15:21–32 (ESV) —

21 And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry his cross. 22 And they brought him to the place called Golgotha (which means Place of a Skull). 23 And they offered him wine mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it. 24 And they crucified him and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, to decide what each should take. 25 And it was the third hour when they crucified him. 26 And the inscription of the charge against him read, “The King of the Jews.” 27 And with him they crucified two robbers, one on his right and one on his left. 29 And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, 30 save yourself, and come down from the cross!” 31 So also the chief priests with the scribes mocked him to one another, saying, “He saved others; he cannot save himself. 32 Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe.” Those who were crucified with him also reviled him.

 

NOTE: What is there to say that has not already been said or wrote? The savagery toward Jesus -- who came to save us, preached a message of love and service -- is amazing. People, some, hated him greatly. Why? Because Jesus is a reminder of our rebellion against God. He reminds us that we are sinners who do not want to truly obey God. The sad part is that includes the  chief priests and scribes. We are all in rebellion to God, it's just that some of us fake that they are not. Some of those are the religious, the "fake church-goers," -- those who are whitewashed tombs. I see too many of those in the church. They are interested in the accolades, but the only accolade we should wish for is from God -- "well done, good and faithful servant." I hope and pray that will always be enough for me. And I hope and pray that I hear those words.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I serious about pleasing God or that people think I am pleasing God?
  2. Am I more interested in being noticed or serving without notice?

 

PRAYER: Father, I am a sinful man. I am far too often interested in being seen or being known. My pride asserts itself often. I fail you far too often. Have mercy on me. In this third season of my life, help me to live the quiet life of a servant who does not need to be acknowledged by anybody but you.

No comments:

Post a Comment