Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, February 26, 2024

QT 2/26/2024 Ps 23:1-6, Learning to slow down

Psalm 23:1–6 (ESV) —

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters.

3 He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness

for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;

you anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord

forever.

 

NOTE: This is one of the most treasured psalms of the faith. There is so much to like and one could write many devotionals from each verse. I am going to tie together two phrases from verses 2 and 3, "He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul." I think one of the tactics of the enemy is to make life more frenetic. We have more leisure time than ever, and we are more exhausted than ever. A popular country music song lyrics read,

 

I'm in a hurry to get things done

Oh, I rush and rush until life's no fun

All I really gotta do is live and die

But I'm in a hurry and don't know why

 

We have forgotten how to rest. And I don't mean sitting on a couch watching TV. That is a hobby, but that is not rest. What is rest? It is sitting down. It is getting to bed on time. But best is finding a quiet place to contemplate life, read the scriptures, and pray silently -- all without any interruptions. Real rest recharges our batteries, it restores the soul. The other things are fakes to keep us engaged or busy without really slowing down. We do the unimportant and urgent things, putting off time for quiet meditation.

 

Another slightly related item is, "You prepare a table before me …." Although this is in presence of David's enemies, eating with family and friends can also restore and heal relationships. I'm convinced that God created meals for more than physical sustenance.

 

PONDER:

  1. How often do I find a quiet place away from distractions where I can just contemplate life?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to slow down and appreciate beauty and your presence. I don't want to be in a hurry, I want to be in your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment