Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

QT 2/7/2024 Mark 15:33-39, The crucifixion happened as did the events surrounding it

Mark 15:33–39 (ESV) —

33 And when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” 35 And some of the bystanders hearing it said, “Behold, he is calling Elijah.” 36 And someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink, saying, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to take him down.” 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed his last. 38 And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. 39 And when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”

 

NOTE: Jesus' death opened access to God. Figuratively and in actuality, the temple curtain was torn in two from top to bottom. As the darkness lifted in the ninth hour, Jesus died, and a Gentile, a Roman Centurion, proclaimed, "Truly this man was the Son of God!" Atheists like to scoff that Jesus never said he was the Son of God, which is not true, but even if it was, certainly everyone else knew his claim, even a Roman soldier. Jesus died for Jew and Gentile, for slave and free man, for male and female. Jesus took all of our sins upon himself, and God the Father turned his face from God the Son because he could not look upon sin. The events, darkness for three hours, the tearing of the curtain, and also an earthquake (not mentioned in Mark) were all signs that something unique in human history was occurring. It happened. Eyewitnesses chose death over denying the facts. So, the question remaining is what do we do with the truth?

 

PONDER:

  1. What does Jesus' crucifixion mean to me?
  2. How do I respond to the historical facts surrounding the event? Do I pick and choose what I believe -- a lazy man's approach to fact?

 

PRAYER: Father, I am so thankful that my sins, past - present - future, were paid on the cross. My life was redeemed. And I, unworthy me, have the promise of a glorious future. Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment