Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 22, 2018

QT 22 Mar 18, 1 Tim 1:18-20, We are engage in a war, not a single battle


Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
20
 3/22
1 Tim 1:12-20
1 Timothy 1:18–20 (ESV) — 18 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, 20 among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
Paul challenges Timothy to wage the good warfare or fight the good fight (in other versions). Warfare may be more appropriate, but it is not a single battle, but it is a series of battles. A fight is over at the end, but a war can continue for many battles. We may win one skirmish, but the enemy is preparing the next one just around the corner. Some have failed, and while God preserves us, God also disciplines us. When our lives fail to live up to our declaration, we are in danger of severe discipline.
There are a lot of battles, but I need to win one at a time. I can exercise self-control in two meals, but if I fail in the third, have I really won anything. I won two fights but lost the war. I need to exercise self-control in my appetite. I need to pray and ask God for help during those particular points in the day when I am most susceptible. I need to see them ahead of me and take steps to prepare.
Father, remind me and help me to prepare for the war not just the fight. Help me to carry obedience all through the day. Be gracious unto me I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment