Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 29, 2018

QT 29 Mar 18, Ex 34:6-7, God is a God of Love and Wrath -- not One or the Other


Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
20
 3/29
Exo 34:1-9
Exodus 34:6–7 (ESV) — 6 The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, 7 keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.”
This is God's description of himself to Moses. God emphasizes his love and God emphasizes his wrath. He forgives and he punishes (visiting the iniquity). Sins can carry on for generations. In other words, there are no private sins. Our sin affects other people, and probably our family most of all. Forgiveness changes our relationship but not the consequences of our sin.
God does proved mercy often but not always. God is a loving Father and as such he knows when to apply mercy and when to discipline us for our actions. We need to trust in a Father's love, that he will do what is best for our long-term gain.
Father, I do so much appreciate your mercy and love. I thank you also that I am your child, not because of my creation, but only because of my belief in the savior. Help me to rely on your wisdom and trust in your wisdom and you lead and guide me along the path ahead. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment