Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

QT 22 Aug 18, Rev 22:8-9, We must worship God alone


Revelation 22:8–9 (ESV) — 8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, 9 but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

NOTE: Why is this story here? What is the purpose? I think for a story about the end of history, it serves as a useful reminder. It was the worship of something or someone, other than God, that started the rebellion. The damage to people has been unfathomable. We can't worship ourselves or things. We can't listen to the "liar," as Jesus calls him. Yes, we know better, but do we really? Here is John, an apostle, confused enough to worship an angel. We worship power, position, popularity, beautiful people, and rich people. The angels says "Don't do it." The message of Revelation is to "Worship God." That means we listen to and obey his word above all. Babylon is trying to tell us that God's word is archaic and does not apply to modern life. It tells us that science, as defined by Babylon, knows better. It deceives us, just as Jesus said "he has been a liar from the beginning."

PRAYER: Lord, protect us, your children from the lies of Satan. We are susceptible to the Babylonian worldview. Everyone else believes it. And we, in our weakness, fall into the trap of being accepted by others. Let us hold our ground, but also to do it with gentleness and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment