Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

QT 17 Apr 19, Jude 11, Compromising for personal gain


Jude 11 (ESV) — 11 Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion.

NOTE: I think all these are examples of people who sought to gratify the flesh. Cain did not give the first fruits, because that might have required him to sacrifice. The line of Cain is characterized by people who sought happiness through material things. Balaam wanted the gold and was struggling to compromise in such a way as to be faithful to God but helpful to Balak. In the end, he counseled Balak on how to  defeat Israel by using their women to seduce Israel away from their God. And Korah's rebellion against humble Moses was because he wanted the power, and the corresponding ability to gain wealth by ruling the nation. He really cared little for God, choosing to decide for himself what rules he could or could not follow. This is a microcosm of the Christian community today, the pursuit of selfish desires and compromises with truth to gain wealth and power and to feed the flesh.

NOTE: Father, forgive me for my own personal failures. Forgive me for seeking to gratify the flesh above serving you. I want to serve you first and foremost. Give me a witness and the opportunities and the courage to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment