Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

QT 23 Apr 19, Jude 14-15, Arrogance and pride is believing absolutely certain our idea is the correct one


Jude 14–15 (ESV) — 14 It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, 15 to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

NOTE: I find this comment interesting since Enoch is not considered scripture or part of the cannon. Although, that does not mean it can't be cited. Paul cited a Greek poet when he was in Athens. So while the book of Enoch is not scripture, that does not mean it is wrong in every respect. And case in point, at least one passage (1 Enoch 1:9) is correct. Having spent some time in Job recently, it is amazing how developed the theology of Abraham's time was (assuming it was Abraham's time). I believe pre-flood was also more developed than just the creation story. In Romans, Paul says that the law is written on human hearts. Additionally, not all prophets had their messages recorded and we can probably assume that prophets existed even in the times before the giving of the law, Melchizedek being another example.
But the real point of the passage is that the ungodly will be judged at the end of time. In the meantime, be very careful who you listen to. And never insist on knowing all things--be humble. Only fools think they are absolutely right.

PRAYER: Father, protect me from the sin of arrogance and pride. Continue to teach me. Continue to open my eyes to new ideas. May I never read into your word. May I never exclude what I don't want to believe from your word. Let you word be the lamp unto my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment