Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

QT 2 Apr 19, 2 Pet 3:5-7, Judgment is coming and what are we doing?


2 Peter 3:5–7 (ESV) — 5 For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, 6 and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished. 7 But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

NOTE: The phrase "the heavens existed long ago" is suggestive of much more time than human existence. Also, separating the earth from the creation of the heavens tells us that earth's creation took place after (and probably well after) the heaven's creation. At one time, and probably still true today, there was enough water to blanket the earth. God moved the water and created our planet surface. Later, he used the water to destroy our planet surface. Peter, says that the same thing is going to happen again, but this time with fire. Looking at the sun and other stars, it is obvious that the heavens were created with fire. And that element will be the new weapon of judgment upon our planet for our continued rebellion and sin.

PRAYER: Father, it seems like a lot of messages lately have been about a coming judgment. I hope I am hearing the right message. It is either a message to me to live a holy life and / or a message to me to be more concerned with those around me who do not know the savior. Both is probably true. Open my eyes to my own unholiness and open my eyes to the lostness of those around me. May both move me to greater action.

No comments:

Post a Comment