Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 2, 2019

QT 2 Sep 19, 1 Tim 6:3-5, Balancing spiritual coaching and good mature spiritual advice


1 Timothy 6:3–5 (ESV) — 3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4 he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5 and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

NOTE: Some people want to argue. They want to be proved right. They want their opinion accepted by all or at least acknowledged as a very worthy idea. They measure themselves as spiritual, but they really just have a lot of opinions from other knowledgeable persons. But spirituality is not measured by knowledge, nor is it measured by actions, but it is measured in the heart and by our character. How do we treat people? Are we contemptuous of others or are we genuinely compassionate? Do we listen or do we lecture? Do we care what others say or is it more important to make our point? Personally, I want to work on a "coaching" philosophy over this new fiscal year to my management style -- more questions and less instruction. I'm not a huge enthusiast for the "coaching" movement occurring in the Navigators. I believe it contains a certain haughtiness that is quite noticeable. And maybe that occurs when it is taken to the extreme. For myself, I prefer mature spiritual advice, and it saves time when just given. So, I think there is a balance between the tedious drawing out through questions and the person who just gives instruction. I want to find that balance this year.

PRAYER: Father, help me to grow in my ability to ask probing questions and even more importantly, in listening. I want to give advice where needed, but I want to help others discover as well. I need your help to find that balance. Protect me from the haughtiness that I see in "spiritual coaches" today. I don't want to be a part of this new fad. But I do want to be a better listener and a better discipler.

No comments:

Post a Comment