Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, December 12, 2019

QT 12 Dec 19, 1 Pet 3:7, The husband's duties for his wife


1 Peter 3:7 (ESV) — Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

NOTE: Two things stand out to me in this passage. First, men are called to understand your wife. Wow, that is not easy. Understanding anyone is difficult but especially the opposite sex, and for a man, especially a wife. Understanding requires active listening, but not just her words, but also her emotions, her non-verbal communications, and her thoughts. A man doesn't need to think about these things as much in dealing with other men, at least that has been my experience. I do know there are exceptions but they seem few. The second point is the comment on weaker vessel. Constable writes,

Both the husband and the wife are vessels, but husbands are more typically similar to iron skillets whereas wives resemble china vases, being more delicate. They are equally important but different.
 
Again, many would probably disagree, but in my experience (sample size of 2 - wife and a daughter), I would agree. It is considerably easier to damage a woman through our words than a man. I guess this means I'm a sexist pig, or that I am exactly right and our culture wants to hide God's truth from our knowledge.

PRAYER: Father, help me to truly listen to my wife and understand her. I want her to know that I care for her, that I love her, and that she is very special to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment