Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

QT 5 Feb 2020, Luke 5:33, Fasting and prayer are different now


Luke 5:33 (ESV) — And they said to him, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink.”

NOTE: I think the gist of Jesus' response to the Pharisees is, things are different. A new thing is happening and the old ways don't apply. And I don't think the issue was fasting or prayer but rather a different way of fasting and prayer. The Pharisees' fasting and prayer was public and intentionally noticeable. Apparently, John's disciples may have followed the same example. Jesus would later teach how to fast and pray. Essentially, don't let anyone know you are fasting. Don't pray out loud to be seen by others. Fast and pray in secret. Make it a matter of the heart and not a matter to be seen.

PRAYER: Father, the new covenant is a covenant of the heart. And I am so glad. I would not want to live in an age of show. I have enough problems with pride. Father, help those who live in the shadow of religion find real hope and peace in a relationship with you through Jesus' sacrifice for their sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment