Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, February 6, 2020

QT 6 Feb 2020, Luke 6:9-11, Rage does no good


Luke 6:9–11 (ESV) — 9 And Jesus said to them, “I ask you, is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to destroy it?” 10 And after looking around at them all he said to him, “Stretch out your hand.” And he did so, and his hand was restored. 11 But they were filled with fury and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus.

NOTE: The story reminds me of a certain political party that is so filled with rage, it can't think straight. But church Christians do the same thing when they project their convictions onto other brothers and sisters. They become filled with rage that the other person is not obeying what to them seems so obvious. Rage, the common response to not getting our own way. James talks about those believers in James 4. Later in the chapter, he says that God opposes the proud, the person who thinks he is always right in spiritual matters.

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for the same trap. Help me to recognize my pride. Protect me from emotional responses, especially rage. Jesus seldom exploded in anger (the money-changers and the pharisees -- people who were supposedly helping others spiritually being an exception). No, Jesus was gentle. I want to be gentle with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment