Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

QT 10 Jun 2020, 1 Tim 6:17c, Enjoying God's gifts without guilt


1 Timothy 6:17 (ESV) — 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.

NOTE: The phrase "who (God) richly provides us with everything to enjoy" is placed here in the discussion of the rich who are charged not to be haughty or to set their hope (be obsessed) with riches. A principle that I see is, riches are given by God and can be enjoyed. I think  there is a balance. Personally, I very much oppose the teaching of tithing to the rich (and I consider myself in this group). I think it is a travesty to only give ten percent when a person is rich. Over the years I have worked at two approaches to overcome the hindrances. One, every pay raise I received, I took a portion of the money (larger than the percentage pay raise) and applied it to my giving. Over time, my giving percentage increased without any noticeable effect on my budget. Secondly, I established a giving account (usually not tax-deductible) where I can give to people in need with large sums. I have also used it for ministry purposes as well. This practice has also not affected my budget. I'm not saying that the rich should not suffer to give. Certainly we don't have to live like our neighbors or the proverbial "Jones." We can say no to things. In fact, the most difficult thing is learning to be content and to say no to something when you have the means to acquire the thing. I think a third principle (approach) is not to advertise wealth. It is just ugly. It is unnecessary.

PRAYER: Father, the area of riches is a complicated thing. Give me wisdom to use the funds you give in a way that brings great honor to your name. Help me to make wise decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment