Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 25, 2020

QT 25 Jun 2020, Ps 55:4-8, The importance of trust even when life is good


Psalm 55:4–8 (ESV) —
4 My heart is in anguish within me;
the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
5 Fear and trembling come upon me,
and horror overwhelms me.
6 And I say, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest;
7 yes, I would wander far away;
I would lodge in the wilderness; Selah
8 I would hurry to find a shelter
from the raging wind and tempest.”

NOTE: I remember this Psalm from a quiet time many years ago. I can't find it in my notes. I remember the feeling. You can feel David's despair and depression. He would like to run away. His enemies are too strong for him. And it doesn't seem to end. In verse 1, he pleads for mercy. I like the emphasis on mercy. It means that the person realizes he is unworthy of the Lord's help. He is deserving of nothing and so he falls back on mercy -- which is God not giving to us what we deserve. The Psalm ends with the words, "But I will trust in you." That is what we are called to do, every day, not just during those incredibly painful moments. I don't want to go through those pains again to learn I need to trust in God. Trust needs to be part of my every day experience. Yes, life has fears right now, but I don't find myself worried. God has provided a good job, so I don't find myself concerned. I do worry a little for my children to choose correctly, but all I can do is pray.

PRAYER: Father, praying daily is my best defense against forgetting who I must trust in. My application will be to make that my second priority of the day after quiet time.

No comments:

Post a Comment