Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

QT 9 Jun 2020, 1 Tim 6:17, Pray first then manage money


1 Timothy 6:17 (ESV) — 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.

NOTE: I don't believe Paul meant that we were not supposed to plan for the future. But Paul says that we are not to set our hopes on the uncertainty of riches. I understand the uncertainty of riches -- in our society with the way the markets roller coaster, it is easy to understand. In the NT, the Greek word here appears to be the only usage. The root word means clear and evident. I assume this variation includes an extension that is the negative. Nothing is clear or evident in regards to the future. The world can change very quickly. Yes, we need to plan for the future. But, we must not be obsessed. We are told to put our hope on God. How do we do that? We make prayer a priority in our life. We easily make money management a priority. Prayer should take priority over money management. Yes, we do both, but we always pray. Because, God is in charge, not our money, not our clever planning. God is in charge.

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for giving too much thought to my finances, and not enough thought to prayer. Prayer needs to be my first impulse every day. I plan to live this out this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment