Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 8, 2020

QT 8 Jun 2020, 1 Tim 6:17, Lessons for the rich


1 Timothy 6:17 (ESV) — 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.

NOTE: Instructions for the rich are really for all believers who live in the western world, whether or not your salary is in the top percentage in your country. A few lessons show up in these verses and the first is: don't be haughty. The Greek word for haughty is translated in other versions as arrogant, haughty, high-minded, proud, and conceited. Never consider your status as an expectation of special treatment. I've seen this from passengers in first class. I've seen it from people in a store to those serving them. I see it over and over again in society. I continually am judging my own actions. Am I smiling enough? Am I the one who is showing deference? Am I accusing? Am I taking the blame or pushing it completely to the other person? Am I using words that are gentle or kind? I absolutely do not want to be haughty. I would much rather be blamed for a trifle, than to act haughty to another. May we all show such deference.

PRAYER: Father, open our eyes to how our words display pride and arrogance. Help us to see our sin, confess, and repent. Give us a witness that includes words of grace to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment