Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

QT 24 Jun 2020, Ps 54: 1-3, Unique situations when we must disobey our authorities


Psalm 54:1–3 (ESV) —
1 O God, save me by your name,
and vindicate me by your might.
2 O God, hear my prayer;
give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have risen against me;
ruthless men seek my life;
they do not set God before themselves. Selah

NOTE: David was hiding from Saul in the wilderness. This was a time of active pursuit by Saul. Others had sought to turn him in. Now, strangers in the land, the Ziphites, also attempt to turn David over to Saul. The Ziphites did not know him. But they probably had heard what was done to others who did not obey the King. And technically I suppose, they were obliged to obey the king. Except in this case, the King was attempting to kill an innocent man, and so his order would have been an illegal order. That puts a burden upon us to not blindly follow our authorities just because they are an authority placed there by God. Not every action is moral. We need to seek God in these matters. And that is what the latter half of verse 3 seems to be saying -- David is arguing that they have not sought God in the matter but are blindly following the orders of the authorities. This is not about disagreements. We can disagree with authorities but we are still obligated to follow their rules and laws. This is when the rule or law is immoral, such as the taking of innocent life.

PRAYER: Father, this is a very difficult concept and we need your help and guidance. We cannot disobey laws because we don't like them or even disagree with them conceptually. On the other hand, we are obligated to disobey immoral laws and rules. I pray you would help us to discern the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment