Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 1, 2022

QT 8/1/2022 Hab 1:2-4, Faith in the fire

Habakkuk 1:2–4 (ESV) —

2 O Lord, how long shall I cry for help,

and you will not hear?

Or cry to you “Violence!”

and you will not save?

3 Why do you make me see iniquity,

and why do you idly look at wrong?

Destruction and violence are before me;

strife and contention arise.

4 So the law is paralyzed,

and justice never goes forth.

For the wicked surround the righteous;

so justice goes forth perverted.

 

NOTE: In my study of Daniel, Constable mentions that Daniel's friends were not saved from the fire but rather they were saved in the fire. We have a tendency to believe that answers to prayer must follow our syllabus. Yes, it is true that God does not intervene when we want him to, but how can we be so sure that our plan is the best. Faith is believing that God is answering our prayers, not in our manner, but for our good, and for his larger purpose. Pain and suffering is not because God does not exist, but because we rebelled in the garden and chose to be our own gods. We were warned. Pain and suffering, rather than showing God's lack of power, shows us our rebellion and our inability to solve life's problems by human means. We make poor gods.

 

PONDER:

  1. We make poor goods, but great complainers -- do I truly have faith that God is working to bring about good in all things for those who know him?
  2. Have I recognized unanswered prayer as God's best for us?
  3. Do I see eternity as a lesser good than life on earth?

 

PRAYER: Father, it is hard to watch a child suffer and see no answer to our prayers. I saw that 30 years ago, and 30 years later I see the answer. I am a fool who thinks himself wise. My pride is my greatest problem still. I don't need to look good or right. I need to let go of self and what I think is best, and trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment