Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

QT 8/24/2022 Ps 25:9, Humility is the path to seek

Psalm 25:9 (ESV) — He leads the humble in what is right,

and teaches the humble his way.

 

NOTE: What does it mean to be humble? The root word suggests wretched, emaciated, to submit, and so on. It means that I cannot live the Christian life on my own abilities. I'm not that smart, strong, or sufficient. I am weak. I fail often. I struggle to do the right thing. And most importantly I must admit it. I think I understand Job's struggle. He was wise. His years had given him insight. People came to him for guidance. And he had many possessions that allowed him to fix most of his problems. But God wanted him to understand that he did not understand all the things he thought he did -- he needed God's wisdom. And he did not have the resources and power to stand up to all that life might throw at him -- he was weak. I don't want to learn this lesson the way Job learned it. I truly must take the spotlight off of myself. I need a quiet presence that communicates to others that they are important. I need to admit my failures. I need to ask God for his strength and his wisdom.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I boast of my accomplishments?
  2. Do I find ways to slip my abilities into a conversation?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my pride. I am nothing without you. And I would be nowhere today without you. If I have accomplished anything, it is only because you have blessed me and enveloped me in mercy. Give me strength and a quiet presence to live like Jesus before others. I am who I am in Jesus and I don't need to be anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment