Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

QT 8/30/2022 Ps 27:4, Meeting with God each morning

Psalm 27:4 (RSV) —

4 One thing have I asked of the Lord,

that will I seek after;

that I may dwell in the house of the Lord

all the days of my life,

to behold the beauty of the Lord,

and to inquire in his temple.

 

NOTE: David's desire was not to be a priest or a Levite or (in today's culture) a pastor. What David is seeking is available to every disciple of Jesus. The idea of dwelling in God's house is a close relationship with the inhabitants of the house. There is rest, peace, and safety in God's house. God's house and the person of God are beautiful. His house satisfies the soul. Although this is a poor comparison: I think of a rainy day, sitting in a comfortable chair with a favorite book. The room is warm and cozy. There is a grand fireplace on one end of the room with a fire giving off warmth. The room is full of built-in wooden book cases. The wood grain gives off the complexities of creation. There are at least two large windows in the room. You can see the storm but also the woods and mountains in the distance. Your best friend, Jesus, sits nearby, always ready to chat. And you are at peace. Yes, that is the picture in my mind. That and many other similar pictures of beauty and peace seen throughout creation fill my mind as I read these verses. While not as glamorous, my quiet time spot is a nice room, quiet, and alone with the Lord, reading his word as he opens my mind to truth. I dearly look forward to each morning.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do you have a quiet place where you go to meet with God each morning?

 

PRAYER: Father, sometimes, my quiet spot has been getting into work super early to have some peace, quiet, and time alone with God in his word in a cubicle. It is not the best, but I am still meeting with you, and it is worth it. Thank you for the places you have given me over the years. I do not take those things for granted. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment