Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, August 20, 2022

QT 8/19/2022 Hab 3:17-19, What is our trust based upon? Good things happening?

Habakkuk 3:17–19 (ESV) —

17 Though the fig tree should not blossom,

    nor fruit be on the vines,

the produce of the olive fail

    and the fields yield no food,

the flock be cut off from the fold

    and there be no herd in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;

    I will take joy in the God of my salvation.

19 God, the Lord, is my strength;

    he makes my feet like the deer’s;

    he makes me tread on my high places.

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.

 

NOTE: Each of these six events are painful and  each one increases the degree of the pain. The use of the "and" ties them all together. Basically, Habakkuk is saying that if his whole world: pleasures of food and drink, necessities of cooking, ingredients of cooking, current livelihood, and future were gone, he would still rejoice in God. This is a long way to travel from his questions directed to God at the beginning of the chapter. For a modern person, it might read differently:

 

Mana 3:17 Though the football season be cancelled

    nor internet be connected to the net,

the stove and oven fail

    and the refrigerator be empty,

my job be eliminated from the org chart

    and my 401k be lost in poor financial moves,

Hab 3:18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;

    I will take joy in the God of my salvation.

 

I wonder if any of us could say those things. Well, my wife would not care about the football season, but she has her own pleasures. If life was affected on the level of pleasures, basic needs, and economic security, could we still speak as Habakkuk?

 

What do we do? I don't want to have to find out. So, I will live my life for God and be thankful for anything I have. Israel failed to live for God and was crushed for her sin.

 

PONDER:

  1. Could we really say what Habakkuk said?
  2. Is our faith in God truly that strong?

 

PRAYER: Father, these are lessons I prefer not to learn or live through, but the real lesson is that you are in charge and whatever happens is ultimately going to work for good in our life when it is placed in your hands. We need to be serious in our relationship with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment