Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

QT 9/13/2022 Gal 1:6-10, It is Grace, not religion and law

Galatians 1:6–10 (ESV) —

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

 

NOTE: This passage is one of the bluntest and harshest passages in the entire New Testament. The Greek word for accursed, anathema, is translated "condemned to Hell" and "eternally condemned" in two other translations. And the repetition of verse 8 and 9 is a long way of saying, if someone should preach or is preaching, they should be condemned to Hell. What is the issue at state? From the later context, some group of false teachers is mixing works into the gospel message. They are requiring that one follow the law in addition to believing in Jesus. They are adding legalism. They are creating religion instead of a relationship with Jesus Christ. They are destroying the gospel of Jesus Christ which is grace (unmerited favor) received by faith alone. People are more comfortable with a religion that has rules (a little works) as long as it does not affect their lifestyle too uncomfortably, like attend church one in a while or give a certain amount of money (not too much) or say your prayers before a meal. We want to feel in control. We don't like being dependent upon others. And there are always false teachers out there who will give people what they want in order to please them and gather a following.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe that there is no additional favor I can receive from God no matter what I do?
  2. Do I believe I am completely and fully loved by God?

 

PRAYER: Father, protect me and my teaching from ever presenting a gospel different from the one fully revealed in the New Testament. We are not under the OT Law. We have freedom in Christ, although we are not to use our freedom to hurt your name or other members of the body. Continue to give grace and mercy to me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment