Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 19, 2022

QT 9/19/2022 Gal 2:11-4, There is no compromise regarding faith and works

Galatians 2:11–14 (ESV) —

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?”

 

NOTE: I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that our spiritual leaders are susceptible to religion, that is, to being seen or performing in a certain way. There are times, as Paul shares, where we do things for the weaker brother. But this does not appear to be one of those cases, at least in Paul's mind. Because, it attacks one of the central doctrines of the Christian faith, salvation by faith alone and works have no merit. This is a key concept, not something you do for a weaker brother, because it is wrong. So, the dividing line with religion concerns works and salvation. There is no merging of the two.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I merge salvation and works subtly without knowing it?
  2. Do I have rules in the church and outside of the church that are a requirement for those who attend? If so, I may be living for works and not truly saved.

 

PRAYER: Father, protect us all from the subtle traps of religion. It is based on performance and not based on faith. Help me to be consistent with my life. Keep me from sin. Show me mercy. Give my daily bread. Forgive my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment