Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 15, 2022

QT 9/15/2022 Gal 1:15-16, God loved us FIRST!

Galatians 1:15–16 (ESV) —

15 But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, 16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone;

 

NOTE: In John's letter, he writes;

 

1 John 4:19 (ESV) — We love because he first loved us.

 

This principle is declared by Paul in his testimony. Paul was far from God. He was zealously seeking to destroy this movement. He was in the mold of the Maccabees, zealous to protect his faith. He was educated. He was committed. He had all the correct pedigrees. And he was dead wrong in his beliefs. And God took the first step. Paul wasn't seeking God, although he was trying with all of his effort to please him; God was seeking Paul. By grace (unmerited favor), Paul was called. God was pleased to reveal his Son to Paul. What an incredibly humbling sequence of events.

 

None of us found God. He found us. None of us were worthy. He loved us when we were unlovable. We were sinners in his eyes undeserving of anything good, and only deserving of Hell. Until we capture that essential truth, we will never really know how to thank God. He loved us first. We did not love him.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I really believe and understand that God loved me first?
  2. Do I think my life was deserving of salvation, because if I do, then I am still in need of salvation.

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for loving me and freeing me from my deception. Your love can never be earned. It can only be received and enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment