Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 30, 2022

QT 9/30/2022 Gal 5:1-6, Secret sins of spiritual pride

Galatians 5:1–6 (ESV) —

1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

 

NOTE: Paul uses circumcision for his example but it is only one aspect of the Old Testament Law (and I wonder if any unique commandment might apply, like mixing cheese and meat), although circumcision is probably the singularly distinct aspect of being Jewish. To be a Jew, you must be circumcised. But to be a Jew, you must keep all aspects of the law. Paul's argument is that you don't need any of that and if you think you do, you really have missed the point of what Christ's death did for you. You have now placed "your works plus faith" as a condition for salvation. Paul makes it very clear, circumcision counts for nothing. Later in Romans, Paul says that Gentile believers are circumcised in their heart when they believe. Again in Romans, Paul is arguing that an internal change is better than an external change. The only thing our salvation depends upon is our faith -- not our attendance, not our tithes, not communion or baptism, not anything. All those things are good things but they do not change God's heart toward us in any greater or lesser degree.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I internally boast to myself of some discipline that makes me "better" than others? Repent then, it is sin.

 

PRAYER: Father, search me and know my heart and see if there be any wicked thing in it. I want to confess my sins of spiritual pride and my struggles of the flesh. I am and always will be dependent on the salvation received by faith in Jesus, and sealed by the Holy Spirit in my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment