Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

QT 4/11/2023 2 Sam 18:28-33, Sin slowly kills things

Back on track …

 

2 Samuel 18:28–33 (ESV) —

28 Then Ahimaaz cried out to the king, “All is well.” And he bowed before the king with his face to the earth and said, “Blessed be the Lord your God, who has delivered up the men who raised their hand against my lord the king.” 29 And the king said, “Is it well with the young man Absalom?” Ahimaaz answered, “When Joab sent the king’s servant, your servant, I saw a great commotion, but I do not know what it was.” 30 And the king said, “Turn aside and stand here.” So he turned aside and stood still.

31 And behold, the Cushite came, and the Cushite said, “Good news for my lord the king! For the Lord has delivered you this day from the hand of all who rose up against you.” 32 The king said to the Cushite, “Is it well with the young man Absalom?” And the Cushite answered, “May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rise up against you for evil be like that young man.” 33 And the king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept. And as he went, he said, “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!”

 

NOTE: I don't like this passage. I am disappointed at my hero's response. I was disappointed in David's sin with Bathsheba and Uriah, but for some reason even more disappointed in his leadership. His sin really should bother me more. But, I wonder if David's problem was really his sin. He knew that his sin had lifted God's hand of protection from his life, his family, and his nation. There were consequences to sin. And so, David blamed himself for Absalom's death, but Absalom died because Absalom sinned. The fact that his death was associated with events related to Nathan's prophecy does not remove Absalom's responsibility. David's inability to correct his children also contributed to the events (although that too may be related to David's recognition of his own sin and difficulty in disciplining those who did what he did). So, his despair in very likely a despair of sin, and the effects of sin. The new covenant is different. Our sins are gone. The consequences of sin do exist, but not in the same way. The blood washes away the guilt and leaves us clean. David's faith provided him with righteousness, but only the blood can cleanse our conscience. What a burden David must have carried.

 

PONDER:

  1. A speaker recently highlighted the fact that the wages of sin is death. Each sin brings death closer. Am I serious about my sin?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my sins. I think I pray that every day. Help me to see my hidden sins -- the areas where I fool myself. I don't want to bring death upon myself. It will happen someday, but there is no need in hastening that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment