Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

QT 4/18/2023 2 Sam 20:4-10, Being prayerful, not just prudent

2 Samuel 20:4–10 (ESV) —

4 Then the king said to Amasa, “Call the men of Judah together to me within three days, and be here yourself.” 5 So Amasa went to summon Judah, but he delayed beyond the set time that had been appointed him. 6 And David said to Abishai, “Now Sheba the son of Bichri will do us more harm than Absalom. Take your lord’s servants and pursue him, lest he get himself to fortified cities and escape from us.” 7 And there went out after him Joab’s men and the Cherethites and the Pelethites, and all the mighty men. They went out from Jerusalem to pursue Sheba the son of Bichri. 8 When they were at the great stone that is in Gibeon, Amasa came to meet them. Now Joab was wearing a soldier’s garment, and over it was a belt with a sword in its sheath fastened on his thigh, and as he went forward it fell out. 9 And Joab said to Amasa, “Is it well with you, my brother?” And Joab took Amasa by the beard with his right hand to kiss him. 10 But Amasa did not observe the sword that was in Joab’s hand. So Joab struck him with it in the stomach and spilled his entrails to the ground without striking a second blow, and he died.

Then Joab and Abishai his brother pursued Sheba the son of Bichri.

 

NOTE: Amasa had commanded Absalom's forces in the treasonous rebellion against David. And, for some reason, he was delayed in his return. A positive take on the passage (from Joab's point of view) is that Amasa was not fully on-board and wanted to see Sheba's rebellion succeed. Since Absalom's failure was not going after David immediately, David did not want to repeat that mistake, hence the need for speed but Amasa is for some reason delayed. Ultimately Joab kills him for being a traitor or still being a traitor. The negative take is that while Joab may have thought Amasa a traitor, he was more interested in retrieving his position as commander of the armies of Israel. He likely was demoted for disobeying the King's orders to spare the "boy." And so Joab's motives were most likely wrong, even though his previous actions (killing Absalom) were probably better. But commanders are not allowed to question a direct order of the commander-in-chief. He can make independent decisions on the battlefield, but Joab's decision to kill Absalom would not pass the "sniff" test (it doesn't smell right). In some ways, we could say that David is succeeding in spite of himself. His decision to appoint Amasa in order to appease certain elements within his own tribe, does not appear to be a good one.

 

I think in most situations in life, things don't go as planned. There are too many variables, there is too much sin, and we have an enemy who does do as we think, but opposes us. Plans are good, but ultimately we must depend upon God for the result. We need to be prudent, but even more important than prudent is prayerful.

 

PONDER:

  1. I have laid out many plans, but have I laid out many prayers?

 

PRAYER: Father, I look forward to this new venture in my life, this new phase. Lead me and guide me in how I am to use my time. I want to serve you, not myself. Help me to be attuned to your will and your Spirit's leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment