Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 3, 2023

QT 4/3/2023 2 Sam 18:14-16, Mercy cannot displace justice

2 Samuel 18:14–16 (ESV) —

14 Joab said, “I will not waste time like this with you.” And he took three javelins in his hand and thrust them into the heart of Absalom while he was still alive in the oak. 15 And ten young men, Joab’s armor-bearers, surrounded Absalom and struck him and killed him.

16 Then Joab blew the trumpet, and the troops came back from pursuing Israel, for Joab restrained them.

 

NOTE: In this case, Joab does the right thing. It would seem that mercy or capture might be a better choice, but Absalom had murdered another, raped 10 women, caused the death of 20,000 men, and revolted against God's anointed. A court trial was unnecessary because that decision was made by the defendant when he came to attack David. Joab executes justice against Absalom and shows restraint for his followers, fellow Israelites, by restraining his forces (calling off the fellow). It is interesting that Joab follows Ahithophel's logic that he had given to Absalom (1 Kin 17:2-3 "… I (would) strike down the King only …"). Ahithophel committed suicide when his advice was rejected (he probably knew Absalom would fail and he would be shamed as a traitor).

 

Justice sounds harsh. Our culture has more and more dismissed the idea of justice and have chosen paths of leniency. The result has not been good. Mercy can be very effective when used appropriately. When mercy is expected, then justice ceases to exist because there is no punishment. Joab shows the right mixture of justice (killing Absalom) and mercy (restraining the troops from killing more of the followers).

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I abuse God's justice by assuming his mercy?

 

PRAYER: Father, you are perfect in all of your actions. Your justice is absolute. My sins caused Jesus' death. I don't appreciate enough how much you have done for me and how unworthy I am … each day, how unworthy I am. Forgive my folly and my foolish understanding. Thank you so much for the forgiveness I experienced because of the cross, the place of justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment