Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 6, 2023

QT 4/6/2023 2 Sam 16:1-4, Be careful of evil opportunistic "friends"

Oops, I missed a whole two chapters, and need to go back ...

 

2 Samuel 16:1–4 (ESV) —

1 When David had passed a little beyond the summit, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of donkeys saddled, bearing two hundred loaves of bread, a hundred bunches of raisins, a hundred of summer fruits, and a skin of wine. 2 And the king said to Ziba, “Why have you brought these?” Ziba answered, “The donkeys are for the king’s household to ride on, the bread and summer fruit for the young men to eat, and the wine for those who faint in the wilderness to drink.” 3 And the king said, “And where is your master’s son?” Ziba said to the king, “Behold, he remains in Jerusalem, for he said, ‘Today the house of Israel will give me back the kingdom of my father.’ ” 4 Then the king said to Ziba, “Behold, all that belonged to Mephibosheth is now yours.” And Ziba said, “I pay homage; let me ever find favor in your sight, my lord the king.”

 

NOTE: There are always those that try to take advantage of a situation. It is possible that what Ziba says is true, and his provision of food was certainly helpful. In 19:24-30, we hear the other side of the story from Mephibosheth. Which story is true, we don't know, although Mephibosheth's response is better than Ziba's. Ziba seems opportunistic and is quick to "throw Mephishobeth under the bus." But Mephishobeth's appearance in chapter 19 seems to suggest Ziba's story was never true.

 

So what is the lesson? Be on the lookout for the opportunistic, who do not really care about you, but are trying to take advantage of a situation.

 

PONDER:

  1. As I make major changes in my life these next three months, I need to be careful of people who will try to take advantage of my new situation. And I need to keep my trust in God.

 

PRAYER: Father, Lead me and guide me in these days. I pray for your Holy Spirit to direct me in the right paths for your name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment