Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 13, 2023

QT 4/13/2023 2 Sam 19:9-15, Watch out for discontent

2 Samuel 19:9–15 (ESV) —

9 And all the people were arguing throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, “The king delivered us from the hand of our enemies and saved us from the hand of the Philistines, and now he has fled out of the land from Absalom. 10 But Absalom, whom we anointed over us, is dead in battle. Now therefore why do you say nothing about bringing the king back?”

11 And King David sent this message to Zadok and Abiathar the priests: “Say to the elders of Judah, ‘Why should you be the last to bring the king back to his house, when the word of all Israel has come to the king? 12 You are my brothers; you are my bone and my flesh. Why then should you be the last to bring back the king?’ 13 And say to Amasa, ‘Are you not my bone and my flesh? God do so to me and more also, if you are not commander of my army from now on in place of Joab.’ ” 14 And he swayed the heart of all the men of Judah as one man, so that they sent word to the king, “Return, both you and all your servants.” 15 So the king came back to the Jordan, and Judah came to Gilgal to meet the king and to bring the king over the Jordan.

 

NOTE: This is not one of those situations, where "all is forgotten, let's return home." It was David's own tribe that supported Absalom in the revolt. Consequently, David remains across the Jordan, and takes steps to heal the wounds of the civil war. Most of those wounds were cause by an insider, a member of the family, who whispered sweet promises into the ears of all those who visited Jerusalem. As a result, Judah and Israel forgot that they had the King they really wanted, the King who delivered them from the hand of their enemies. Life was good and yet they revolted because they wanted something else.

 

Isn't that always the case, no matter how good life is or how much better it is than it had been in the past, at some point, we become discontented, and we want something more. David was a great King, but Absalom's words allowed them to be discontented and want something more. They left Saul, after he died, to rally around David. Now when David has proved to be a great King, they want more. Absalom's empty words of how he would give them justice, wasn't about justice, but about giving people what their evil hearts wanted. In the end, he would never be able to deliver, even if the revolt had worked. That's why our hope in politics is always a failure. Our evil hearts are never satisfied. People whisper words of empty promises and we are discontented. Even the millennial kingdom will not provide people what they want since people will revolt again after a thousand years when Satan is released. We need changed hearts and a new body. Sin is always at the door seeking to devour us by telling us what we think we are missing.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I fallen into the "discontent" trap?
  2. Have I ever been satisfied with life or am I always wanting something else?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive my discontent except in my desire to honor you with my life. Help me to see life differently. Help me see it from the perspective of what you are doing. Free me of my "kingdom plans" and help me focus on building your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment