Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

QT 4/12/2023 2 Sam 19:7-8, Wait before responding to rebuke

2 Samuel 19:7–8 (ESV) —

7 Now therefore arise, go out and speak kindly to your servants, for I swear by the Lord, if you do not go, not a man will stay with you this night, and this will be worse for you than all the evil that has come upon you from your youth until now.” 8 Then the king arose and took his seat in the gate. And the people were all told, “Behold, the king is sitting in the gate.” And all the people came before the king.

Now Israel had fled every man to his own home.

 

NOTE: The story of David contains many examples of rebuke. He is rebuked by Abigail. He is rebuked by Nathan. He is rebuked by Joab. In every case, he does not try to defend himself, but takes the rebuke without a word of defense. And in those cases, he is an excellent example to ourselves of how we should take rebuke. Our tendency is to lash out or to defend ourselves. Later on, when the emotions have cooled, we realize our fault and then ask forgiveness. But, it would be much better if we would learn to just listen to the rebuke, think, and pray about it. And then, much later, respond to it. I think we would be much better for it and our relationship with others would be much better as well.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I respond when I am rebuked by another for my actions? Do I have to say something or can I wait and bring it before the throne?

 

PRAYER: Father, you know me, and you know that I am too quick to respond. I need to take what is said, bring it to you, meditate upon it, and then respond in a godly way. Give me grace to control my emotions during those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment