Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

QT 4/5/2023 2 Sam 19:1-8a, We all need a friend like Joab

2 Samuel 19:1–8 (ESV) —

1 It was told Joab, “Behold, the king is weeping and mourning for Absalom.” 2 So the victory that day was turned into mourning for all the people, for the people heard that day, “The king is grieving for his son.” 3 And the people stole into the city that day as people steal in who are ashamed when they flee in battle. 4 The king covered his face, and the king cried with a loud voice, “O my son Absalom, O Absalom, my son, my son!” 5 Then Joab came into the house to the king and said, “You have today covered with shame the faces of all your servants, who have this day saved your life and the lives of your sons and your daughters and the lives of your wives and your concubines, 6 because you love those who hate you and hate those who love you. For you have made it clear today that commanders and servants are nothing to you, for today I know that if Absalom were alive and all of us were dead today, then you would be pleased. 7 Now therefore arise, go out and speak kindly to your servants, for I swear by the Lord, if you do not go, not a man will stay with you this night, and this will be worse for you than all the evil that has come upon you from your youth until now.” 8 Then the king arose and took his seat in the gate. And the people were all told, “Behold, the king is sitting in the gate.” And all the people came before the king.

 

NOTE: When I read the bible and the story of David, I have a love-hate relationship toward Joab. He was one of David's most loyal supporters. He was power hungry and murdered two men in cold-blood to retain his position. He is obedient. He is willing to speak his mind. Maybe this passage is the best passage about Joab. He was the one who tried to reconcile David and his son. And he is the one who kills Absalom on the battlefield because of his revolt. And now, he is the one who severely rebukes David. I don't think there was anybody but Nathan the prophet who could have done the same thing.

 

Joab was right and David was wrong. David covered his face with sackcloth, and he was also covering his men's face with shame. David had lost one son, but ignored the fact that God had saved his entire family (sons, daughters, and wives), the men who fought, and the kingdom.

 

We all need friends, but we also need a special friend -- the friend who sticks closer than a brother, the friend who sharpens us despite the sparks. Even more so when we are in power, we must have that person who can tell us the truth we don't want to hear.

 

PONDER:

  1. Who is the friend who can tell me things I don't want to hear? Do I have that person?

 

PRAYER: Father, over the years, you have given me special friends who have confronted me in the midst of crisis and in the midst of my own blindness. Thank you for the gift of those men. I pray that you would continue to provide those relationships to me. I pray for good advice as I head into this new phase of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment