Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 29, 2023

QT 9/29/2023 Ezek 46:1-3, Remembering that God is Lord, not me

Ezekiel 46:1–3 (ESV) —

1 “Thus says the Lord God: The gate of the inner court that faces east shall be shut on the six working days, but on the Sabbath day it shall be opened, and on the day of the new moon it shall be opened. 2 The prince shall enter by the vestibule of the gate from outside, and shall take his stand by the post of the gate. The priests shall offer his burnt offering and his peace offerings, and he shall worship at the threshold of the gate. Then he shall go out, but the gate shall not be shut until evening. 3 The people of the land shall bow down at the entrance of that gate before the Lord on the Sabbaths and on the new moons.

 

NOTE: Each of these new regulations seem arbitrary and a return to the past, but they are not. As Cooper observes:

 

"Every aspect of worship is to be a celebration of the redemptive work that God has done in Jesus the Messiah. In the Old Testament believers looked forward to the coming Messiah. In the church age believers serve the resurrected Messiah. In the millennial kingdom Israel will observe the elements of their covenant in celebration of the salvation of Messiah in retrospect of his work." [Cooper, L. E. (1994). Ezekiel (Vol. 17, p. 403). Broadman & Holman Publishers.]

 

Later in 46:16-18, there are rules concerning the giving and owning of property. Again the rules are designed to protect worship. As Cooper correctly observes:

 

"Materialism is always a barrier to effective worship. The regulations concerning property and ownership were designed to discourage covetousness and encourage recognition of God’s ownership of all things."

 

I think part of the issue is that there will be individuals with resurrected bodies and individuals with fallen bodies (those who survive the tribulation period). As such, these rules are for the good of those with material bodies. Of course, after 1000 years, these rules will not be perceived as such, and those with fallen bodies will revolt against God's rule one last time.

 

PONDER:

  1. If I struggle with rules now or giving my life to God now, how can I judge this future generation? If not for the grace of God go I.

 

PRAYER: Father, protect me from the enemy's trap. I always want to place your word above the dictates of the world. Help me to seen when I am slipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment