Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 1, 2024

QT 1/1/2024 Mark 11:15-19, What is worship?

Mark 11:15–19 (ESV) —

15 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. 16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.” 18 And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and were seeking a way to destroy him, for they feared him, because all the crowd was astonished at his teaching. 19 And when evening came they went out of the city.

 

NOTE: The market for the exchanging of offerings for cash, and vice-a-versa was set up in the court of the Gentiles. Epstein argues that it was a recent move as previously it had been placed on the Mount of Olives. Not everyone probably agreed with the move into the temple courtyards. And symbolically, it excluded Gentiles from their place of prayer, because it had become a noisy and busy area. What the Jews did was wrong, but we must point the finger a little at ourselves too. Extremes are always dangerous, but there is an argument for a place of reverence and awe, a quiet place to pray and pour out one's hearts to God. I've seen both extremes. In one case, everything is formal and protected from anything that might not fit the style of the room. In other places, the room is a raucous assembly of people catching up on the week that only settles down when worship starts. The first image smells of religiosity, a fake façade portraying sincerity of worship but denying God's rule in the rest of the week. The second image shows gladdened hearts but perhaps not appreciating the holiness and fear of God.

 

Is there a balance? Ultimately, it always boils down to our heart. When the music starts or the service begins, what is our relationship to the Almighty? Does worship bring tears, boredom, or anger? Our heart knows the true relationship. And our actions, outside of the church, reveal the true heart.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I judge others for their worship experience? That's wrong.
  2. Do I judge myself for my worship experience?
  3. Am I living for God during the week, in the same spirit, that I worshipped for an hour on Sunday? Actions reveal the heart.

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to find the balance in worship, especially before the service begins. I want to help people to truly find Jesus and be changed by his presence. In this new year, continue to help me to nail down my new roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment