Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

QT 11 Sep 19, 1 Thess 2:1-2,8, The enemy will oppose us

1 Thessalonians 2:1–2, 8 (RSV) — 1 For you yourselves know, brethren, that our visit to you was not in vain; 2 but though we had already suffered and been shamefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we had courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in the face of great opposition. … 8 So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.

NOTE: It was clear that Paul cared for people. They had a bad experience at Philippi, and maybe you begin to think about quitting. Also, there was opposition at Thessalonica. Most places Paul visited, he faced opposition. And why would we think that he would not, since he is entering enemy-held (Satan's) territory and freeing captives. Of course the enemy will fight. There will be opposition to the truth. It should not surprise us. But the opposition should not be a result of our abrasiveness but rather to the message. In fact, our life, especially in lifestyle-evangelism-settings should smooth the way for the gospel. Certainly Paul willingly gave to the people his very life, but he didn't always live around them long enough to do evangelism through relationships (exceptions being Ephesus and Rome). We can break down Satan's wall by love and care for those around us.

PRAYER: Father give me a good witness to those I work with and those I live near. Help me to show interest and care for them. Help me to pray for them. I especially think of my neighbors who are up in Oklahoma taking care of their sick daughter and the grandchildren. Heal her. Strengthen them. Cause them to seek you.

No comments:

Post a Comment