Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 26, 2019

QT 26 Sep 19, 1 Thess 5:8, Faith, love, and hope are the expressions of the armor of a believer


1 Thessalonians 5:8 (ESV) — But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.

NOTE: In Ephesians 6 is the passage detailing the armor of God. I believe this letter predates that one and so this is an early embryonic version of the same idea. Roman soldiers must have been a normal course of life and so their clothing, their armor probably offered a lot of food for thought. In this passage, Paul only mentions two of the items, the breastplate and helmet, leaving off the shoes, sword, and shield. These items mentioned are the most focused on protecting the body. The shield might be similar except that a shield, when used properly, was a very effective offensive weapon. But the two Paul mentions here are very defensive and protective. They protect our heart and our mind, the two areas Satan is most interested in attacking. Paul also brings in the concepts of faith, love, and hope. If I was to stretch the analogy, faith and love (the breastplate) protect our heart, and hope (the helmet) protects our mind. So when I feel the attack of Satan in one of these areas, I need to exercise the particular protective action. If I find myself doubting, I must remember my hope. Jesus has promised to return. And he will return -- in the air, before the great judgment. I have that hope of eternal life. The enemy has nothing that can take away my future in the kingdom.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the great hope I have in my salvation. There is nothing I can really lose. I need to exercise my armor though, not waiting for the attacks of Satan, but living a life of faith, love, and hope so that I am ready for the attack when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment