Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

QT 3 Sep 19, 1 Tim 6:6-10, Contentment and godliness together lead to a great spiritual gain


1 Timothy 6:6–10 (ESV) — 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

NOTE: I use these verses all the time, but somehow I have separated verse 10 from verses 6-8. The danger, the love of money, starts with a lack of contentment in combination with a lack of godliness. In this context, godliness (God-like-ness) would suggest an unusual concern for others over self. When we really put others first and when we are content with what we have, the "great gain' is the god-like attributes of service, love, and grace. But when we are more concerned for ourselves, and when we are not content, we are driven to pursue money and more money. It is the desire to be rich that is the danger as well. Some will be rich and God never suggests the rich are sinful for being rich. But the rich do have a separate standard. In both cases, godliness and contentment are the key and the secret to a great spiritual gain.

PRAYER: Father, when I am rich or not, in the standards of the world or even the US, I need to be contentment and I need to use the great resources you have given for the benefit of others--missionaries, the poor, and my brothers and sisters in need. Father, I pray that you would govern my giving. Protect me from the snare of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment