Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 5, 2019

QT 5 Sep 19, 1 Tim 6:17-19, Commands for the rich


1 Timothy 6:17–19 (ESV) — 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.

NOTE: The "rich of this present age" would be wealthy believers, since all believers have a wondrous inheritance in the future age. Some people come to Christ rich, and some do well professionally. There are three commands given to the rich. The first is not to be haughty or proud. This is an easy trap to fall into where one begins to think they are deserving of special treatment since they pay for special treatment. I have seen it numerous times in first class on an airplane (due to my frequent flying some years ago).  After a while, people begin to have an expectation of special treatment that leads to a very strong pride and haughtiness. The second command is not to put their hope on the uncertainty of riches. Our hope needs to be in Jesus and not in our ability to fund our way out of problems. Regular prayer is a good protection of our mind from falling into this trap. Last, the wealth of the rich should be used for good works. Certainly, the rich ought to give far beyond a tithe -- my personal opinion -- the scripture tells us that each one must do as he has made up his mind to, not reluctantly or under compulsion. I only know for myself that it would be the height of selfishness to restrict my giving to a tithe. Certainly, the rich can do much better. I started a "giving" savings account a while back to put extra funds so that I can be able to respond to large needs. That money is God's and can only be used for legitimate needs of the body. I believe the rich have a special responsibility to use what God has given wisely, humbly, and secretively (to not call attention to their selves -- and hopefully I did not violate that with some raw comments about giving).

PRAYER: Father, riches are fleeting. They are here today and gone tomorrow. There is no guarantee. Job was wiped out almost instantly and he was the richest person in the East at the time. I pray that those who are rich, would be most generous in their good works. Protect them from pride and haughtiness. Give them a special excitement as they use the funds given to them to expand the work of the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment