Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 9, 2019

QT 9 Sep 19, 1 Thess 1:3, We have a guaranteed future reality with Jesus


1 Thessalonians 1:3 (ESV) — … remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

NOTE: The word "work" is the Greek word, ergon, meaning your place of employment or duty. My job is to exercise faith and to live by faith. The word "labor" is the Greek word, ergos, meaning a beating or to cause trouble or toil. Loving others is difficult. Most people are not very lovable and are not very appreciative of love because we are all selfish to the core. Finally, our hope, elpis, is an expectation of fear in the literal sense, but in the Christian sense, it is an expectation of joy. I think the reason the word for fear is used is that fearful expectation is an impending doom that you don't think you can escape. You are sure it will happen and you are afraid. It is that same assurance but translated in a good sense for a Christian. We know that our hope is in Jesus Christ and he is coming back for us.

PRAYER: Thank you for the work that you have called me to. Give me grace to live my faith and to toil in love for all those around me. I know assuredly that my future with God is a guaranteed reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment