Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 13, 2020

QT 13 Jan 20, Luke 1:52-53, The humility of the mother of God


Luke 1:52–53 (ESV) —
52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

NOTE: Mary was a small town girl. She was not rich and she was not powerful. She didn't know the "right" people. But apparently, she had faith. And God favored her, not on the basis of works -- her righteousness was based on her faith. Her womb held the Holy One of God. Life would not be without struggles. Considering that her and Joseph traveled alone to Bethlehem suggests them estranged from their family at the time. I doubt anyone believed her story. Joseph didn't but he cared enough to settle the issue quietly.  Yet, she was honored in a manner far beyond what anyone would do or had seen in history. And she was humble.

PRAYER: Lord, humility is so difficult. The world traps us into comparisons and boasting. I don't want to live that way. I've been humbled this last week. I don't need to dig myself out. I need to enjoy my new perspective. Give me grace to live in a humble manner worthy of your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment