Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

QT 21 Jan 2020, Luke 3:12-13, We have a sin problem


Luke 3:12–13 (ESV) — Tax collectors also came to be baptized and said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?” 13 And he said to them, “Collect no more than you are authorized to do.”

NOTE: John the Baptist's statement to the tax collectors can be summarized as "obey the law, don't try to get more than authorized." His statement to the soldiers, "don't abuse your authority." And his opening statement to all, "share with those who do not have what you have." It would seem an easy set of rules, but if we are honest with ourselves, it cuts to the heart. We all want to get more. We all want to assert our authority. We all struggle with sharing. The point of the warning is that we all have a sin problem and it should be obvious. We need help. We need Jesus.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the salvation I have in Jesus. He died in my place. He gave me his perfectness in your eyes. His death provided me the privilege to be adopted into the family of God. We are not all God's children, only those who believe in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment