Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

QT 12 Aug 2020, Hos 11:1-5, Lets live as Jesus would during this time


Hosea 11:1–5 (ESV) —
1 When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
2 The more they were called,
the more they went away;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals
and burning offerings to idols.
3 Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
I took them up by their arms,
but they did not know that I healed them.
4 I led them with cords of kindness,
with the bands of love,
and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws,
and I bent down to them and fed them.
5 They shall not return to the land of Egypt,
but Assyria shall be their king,
because they have refused to return to me.

NOTE: The passage is very beautiful and painful. It describes the love of a mother or father for their child. When they were young, they were protected but they still made mistakes. We picked  them back up, bandaged the hurts, and took care of them. The protection (the cords and bands) around them prevented many worst choices. But at some point, we needed to let go. They have to face the results of their choices. Israel refused to return to God. Israel did not seek God. And now, Israel was to lose their land and serve another.

God allowed (or caused) this pandemic to happen to the entire world. Of course, it is not the first, there have been many over the course of human history. Modern medicine (science) has made us seem invincible to 'plagues,' and yet here we are. The pandemic is worldwide. Also, riots have broken out and people have turned against each other. You might think the pandemic would be a time to band together in love rather than to burn down buildings and hurt others, but alas, as a people, we don't seem to care for each other. We won't wear masks because we don't like them and we have rights. We won't stop destroying property because we feel it is our right (reparations for something that never happened to the particular individuals burning things). We are as Paul described in 2 Tim 3 living in the last days--caring more for ourselves than for others.

PRAYER: Father, I would hope that the church, of all people, might care for others. We don't need to insist on our rights. It makes very little difference in the eternal scheme of things. I don't think that you, Jesus, would have refused to wear a mask. You didn't even refuse to pay taxes to the conquering Roman empire. Lord, change our hearts in the church. Help us to see the need to love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment