Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 13, 2020

QT 13 Aug 2020, Hos 11:8;11, Dealing with sin


Hosea 11:8–11 (ESV) —
8 How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, O Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils within me;
my compassion grows warm and tender.
11 they shall come trembling like birds from Egypt,
and like doves from the land of Assyria,
and I will return them to their homes, declares the Lord.

NOTE: I believe this is in reference to the end times. The cities mentioned in verse 8 were cities completely destroyed with Sodom and Gomorrah. Israel would be destroyed, but not in the same way. Even today, Israel returns to the land. It could be the final restoration, but I think the verse refers to the days after the tribulation. Near the end of the tribulation, Israel will flee the land and hide in the region of Edom. But after Israel calls upon the Lord, he will come and defeat the Antichrist, and the people will once again resettle the land, this last time in true belief and in true safety. Why did this happen? Because of apostasy, the same thing that is affecting many churches today. We have the truth of the bible and inserted our own ideas from the world's way of thinking. We have become inclusive, which is good, but we have also become inclusive of ideas that are not good (living together before marriage, sex outside marriage, same sex, sexual change, etc). We accept these things, but the bible says they are sin. Certainly, men can choose how they want to live and we can't force them to believe or behave a certain way, but the real danger is that the church accepts practices within the church that God has said are sin. In fact, these statements are almost certainly wrong to say in many churches today.

PRAYER: Father, give us courage to stand up for your truths. May we do it in a gentle and respectful way. I do pray we would be more inclusive and less judgmental. But for people who call themselves believers, we have a responsibility to rebuke sin in our midst. Give us the wisdom to deal kindly and appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment