Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

QT 26 Aug 2020, Joel 1:15, We need to repent soon …


Joel 1:15 (ESV) —
15 Alas for the day!
For the day of the Lord is near,
and as destruction from the Almighty it comes.

NOTE: The day of the Lord seems to have two meanings. It is certainly used of the final days of judgment during the tribulation and then the establishing of the millennial kingdom. But it also has a more general sense of God doing something, usually judgment, with / for his people. In this case, the day of the Lord is near and would probably be interpreted, not as the end, but more as judgment, a fulfillment of curses mentioned in the latter half of Deut 28. I believe there is that type of 'Day of the Lord' going on right now. It is not specifically the end times, although it may be preceding it, but it certainly is judgment upon us and our nation for our failures to follow the laws of God. We can and should repent, but I think the withdrawal of God's hand of judgment is unlikely, unless like Nineveh, the whole nation was to break down and repent. I don't see that happening in the rhetoric, therefore, things are only going to get worse.

PRAYER: I pray, that as a nation, we would repent. I pray that within the church we would repent. We are almost as guilty as the rest, and maybe more. Our witness is lacking any transformative power. Our worldview is not biblical but worldly. We live for things and not for God. Forgive us Lord and have mercy on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment