Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

QT 18 Aug 2020, Hos 13:6, The key is not to forget God


Hosea 13:6 (ESV) —
6 but when they had grazed, they became full,
they were filled, and their heart was lifted up;
therefore they forgot me.

NOTE: This might as well be a broken record in scripture and throughout history. Prosperity can be a blessing but it usually ends up a curse. People, when they are well fed and satisfied (materially distracted), forget God. It is almost a rule of life. But I don't know if it has to be. I think there are ways to avoid the trap. The key is that we can't forget God. How? A person must meet with God every day in the word and prayer. The prayer can't just be requests but must be communication back and forth with God. We ask for guidance before reading the scriptures. After listening to your word, we share back what we see in the passage. We pray and ask for change. Throughout the day we remember to pray. Later in the day we read your word from the perspective of the big picture (whole chapters). During the day we memorize a verse and meditate on what it means. Once a month we get away and spend half a day praying, singing, reading, and listening to God through his word. Once a year or a quarter, we spend a whole day alone with God--it really is not hard, the time passes swiftly. Again, the key is to not forget God. I could also add the importance of applying the word, sharing the word, and giving resources as essential aspects of not forgetting God. But this will do …

PRAYER: Father, I do not want riches to crowd out my love for you. I do not want to forget you. I want to make you an essential joy of every aspect of my life. Help me to do better in these areas. They are all things I desire to do and can work at doing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment