Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 11, 2022

QT 7/11/2022 Ps 17:8-9, An example of real faith

Psalm 17:8–9 (ESV)

8 Keep me as the apple of your eye;

hide me in the shadow of your wings,

9 from the wicked who do me violence,

my deadly enemies who surround me.

 

NOTE: The "apple of the eye" is an idiom that even today means someone whom you are very fond. It literally referred to another person's reflection seen in your eye, suggesting that you are always looking at that other person, because they are so important. The "shadow of your wings" is another metaphorical expression, portraying a mother protecting her young by covering them with her wings. The message of these two verses is one of the most important messages, and it describes faith, believing that God cares for me and that God will protect me despite any evidence to the contrary. God knows and God will bring about what is best in this sin-marred world. We can't always understand. We probably won't get a message from a storm as Job did, but we can be confident that in the midst of pain, we are greatly loved, cared, and protected.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe in God's love and protection?
  2. Do I see life through the prism of God's view, no matter how painful they are?

 

PRAYER: Father, years ago I learned through studies in Philippians, Hebrews, Psalms, and Job, that faith was believing you cared and had my best interests at heart. You have changed my life incredibly in 40 years. You have always been working. I'm not the person I could have ended up being. I am a different man because of my savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment