Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

QT 7/6/2022 Ps 16:5-6, Life can be pleasant, but only with God

Psalm 16:5–6 (ESV) — 5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. 6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

 

NOTE: I love this verse. I suppose I have many favorite verses. I first read this verse (that I remember) during a time of severe suffering. The lines are not literal in this poem, but reference the idea of boundary or real estate lines -- meaning your property lines. The metaphor that David uses suggests his joy is in the outcome of his life. What was David's joy? It was his relationship with the Lord. That relationship filled his cup. Most people are trying to fill their  cup with things and activities and experiences. We buy more, we do more, we give ourselves to things -- but these things don't provide what we really desire. A deep abiding daily relationship with the Lord provides the joy and peace that we seek, even when life is very painful. Life is not found in this world but in the Lord. David knew this, and that relationship with God allowed him to say, "my lines have fallen in pleasant places." Take some time to spend with God. Meet with him. Enjoy his presence. Be grateful for what he has given. Reflect on your lines.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where do I look for true life? In things or in God?
  2. When was the last time I spent an extended time with God?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for my life. Thank you that I know you. Life has been hard and times have been difficult, but I can honestly say that the lines have fallen in pleasant places. Thank you for the peace and joy that you provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment